The human finger is the main work tool for performing any physical task. If you want to move the legs, the fingers can perform any function, including the most subtle operations, which would be almost impossible without them. In the process of operation, the more tools are used, the faster it will be broken down if it is not properly maintained.
Many of us often complain that after a day of work, sometimes the joints of the fingers are very sore, and even the fingers become completely numb when sleeping, but few people pay proper attention to this, but in vain. If the symptoms and causes are not detected in time, and the correct treatment is not performed, the neglected disease may lead to more serious consequences.
In this article, we will consider in detail the reasons why finger joints are injured, common causes, and current methods of treating joint pain.
Causes of finger joint pain
So, why are the finger joints sore? How to treat? Rheumatologists divide all joint pain into two main categories: mechanical and inflammatory.
- Inflammatory painis characterized by morning stiffness, which can last for an hour or more. Pain can be relieved by exercising. In addition, along with inflammatory pain, patients may also notice other symptoms: redness, swelling of the joints, reduced range of motion, and reduced flexibility.
- Mechanical painMay be accompanied by signs of local inflammation. But, usually, the latter is trivial and poorly expressed. Often patients don't even notice them.
Let us consider in more detail why the joints of the fingers are injured and which diseases are the methods that cause this symptom.
- Rheumatoid arthritis.A chronic autoimmune inflammatory systemic disease that mainly affects the small joints of the body, but does not exclude the involvement of large joints and internal organs in the pathological process. The pain caused by rheumatoid arthritis accounts for 5-7% of all cases. Inflammation of the metacarpophalangeal joints of the index and middle fingers. The joints are swollen and red, and the upper skin feels hot to the touch. The joint pain is so severe that one cannot even clenched his fists. Failure is usually symmetrical on both arms. A typical feature is that the inflamed joints will be injured in the morning or late at night, accompanied by stiffness of the hands. At night, the pain disappeared.
- Psoriatic Arthritis. It appears on the surface of the shell-the skin. The pain of the finger joints occurs at the distal end of the phalanx. Its swelling is manifested by the degree to which fingers are obtained in the form of sausages, which are red and slightly purple. The symptoms of psoriasis are characterized by difficulty in reaching out the hand and thumb.
- Infectious arthritis. There may be no systemic symptoms during the development of this disease. The development of the disease is characterized by the appearance of acute pain, which can last from hours to days. The affected joint feels hot to the touch. In some cases, fever and chills may be observed.
- Goutis a fairly common disease that mainly affects people over 50 years old. The cause of gout is that it violates the metabolism of uric acid-uric acid is difficult to excrete from the body and is deposited in joints and cartilage, which interferes with the normal function of uric acid. The typical symptom of gout is severe burning pain.
- Osteoarthritis-A non-inflammatory deformity of the joint characterized by thickening and restricted movement. The disease is closely related to the background of estrogen, so it is typical for elderly women. The causes of osteoarthritis include the following: genetic susceptibility, abnormal metabolism in the body, occupational stress, etc. In addition to hand joint pain, the main symptoms of the disease are the formation of subcutaneous nodules and edema. They cause the characteristic deformation of the fingers: the middle part becomes thick and fusiform.
- stenotic ligamentitis. Pathology occurs simultaneously with two diseases-arthritis and arthritis. Only X-rays can determine the real cause. The clinical of this disease is very typical. Bending and bending the wrist can be painful. Sometimes a clenched palm may get stuck. When bending, you can clearly hear the click.
- Nodule disease.If you are worried about thumb joint pain, it may be the most likely cause of this disease. Its appearance is related to the obvious overload of the joints, previous infections, poisoning and trauma. After examination, the diagnosis is undoubted: specific pain points, pain with specific loads increased-turn the key, open the lid, turn the door handle. In the initial stage of the disease, the thumb of the hand will only be injured after fatigue. As the disease progresses, pain will appear when resting. The joints gradually deform and cannot take active actions.
- Rheumatism.is known for the unpleasant sudden sharp pain. He brought this expressive and distinctive performance into the joints of his fingers, accompanied by redness, swelling and impaired freedom of movement during the whole process. Coupled with possible rashes and increased body temperature, a complete picture of the disease will be drawn, and treatment is only possible with the help of a doctor.
- Tunnel syndrome.May cause soreness in the index finger joints, most commonly in young people. Appears when working on the computer for a long time. Sooner or later, almost experts related to activities will have similar symptoms.
Factors affecting the development of various diseases of the finger joints:
- Hormonal changes; Pathology of the immune system;
- Various genetic factors;
- Infection (usually chronic);
- Metabolism disorder;
- Exposure to various harmful factors, such as: frequent appearance of hands in cold water (for a long time);
- Minor injuries due to hand injuries (most common in athletes or slaves who require special physical exercise).
Only a traumatologist or rheumatologist can determine whether a patient has a specific disease that causes finger joint pain and prescribe the correct treatment.
You feel pain when bending and stretching your fingers
Pain during flexion may indicate the following:
- Pinch the vertebral nerve; Stricture ligamentitis;
- Arthritis of the joints;
- Tunnel syndrome;
Signs of severe finger joint problems include the following symptoms:
- Nodular appearance in joints;
- Squeaky fingers;
- sharp tingling;
- Skin discoloration (redness);
- Difficult to master fine motor skills;
- The body increases t°C;
- Joint conversion;
- Seal at the bend of the finger;
- Difficulty in gripping fingers;
- The development of inflammation and tumor formation around the joints;
- Unsteady pain (discomfort worsens at night and almost disappears during the day).
Understanding the causes of joint pain will help you find a cure and take preventive measures.
Before figuring out how to treat finger joint pain, a correct diagnosis must be made. Therefore, people who experience joint pain and severe discomfort when bending the upper limbs are advised to make the following diagnosis:
- Blood Biochemistry;
- Computer tomography
- Blood test (general), urine;
- Magnetic resonance imaging
- Check the blood for rheumatoid factor, purine, and anti-streptococcal antibodies.
The discomfort when bending your fingers cannot be ignored. Ignoring the problem can lead to serious consequences. People often notice the loss of active movement. Later, because of the inability to bend the fingers, this seemingly insignificant problem can lead to disability.
What should I do if my finger joints are sore?
It is worth contacting a specialist in the following situations:
- Even using painkillers will not eliminate severe joint pain;
- Joint pain is accompanied by an increase in body temperature or other pathological symptoms (conjunctivitis, rash, etc. );
- Joint pain after trauma, accompanied by severe swelling and deformation of the joint outline;
- The pain in the joints of the fingers did not disappear for a week.
If there is pain in the finger joints, treatment should first focus on eliminating the underlying disease. If finger joint pain is caused by the inflammatory process, antibiotics, hormones and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs should be prescribed.
If a dystrophic disease occurs, first, the damaged cartilage must be restored with the help of cartilage protective agents and the following auxiliary measures: massage, manual therapy, physical therapy.
In the case of an inflammatory process, prescribe a course of painkillers and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for patients.
For severe pain, use hormonal corticosteroid drugs, which can be injected into the joint cavity. When suffering from osteoarthritis, long-term use of cartilage protective agents is required to nourish cartilage and prevent cartilage destruction.
Finger joint pain indicates malfunction or some kind of malfunction. First, you need to stay away from any physical exercise.
Physiotherapy methods are very important and effective in resisting finger joint pathogens. These methods include: electrophoresis (electric shock), resonance therapy and electrical sleep.
During remission, the fingers are treated with massage, muddy smear, manual therapy and therapeutic gymnastics. It is also recommended to visit hydrogen sulfide, ra gas and mud springs in the sanatorium holiday environment. Arthritis will not be aggravated during treatment in a nursing home, and a prescription can only be issued after a thorough examination by an expert.
Products that can help relieve joint pain:
- Fish and other seafood. The calcium, iron and phosphorus contained therein contribute to the normalization of mineral metabolism.
- Linseed oil or fish oil. The omega-3 fatty acids contained in these products can improve blood vessel conditions and help restore fat metabolism;
- Apple cider vinegarpromotes blood alkalization and eliminates salt.
In addition, add diet:
- Egg yolk;
- Pomegranate fruit and juice;
- olive oil;
- Low-fat natural cheese.
Should be restricted or completely excluded: high-fat dairy products, sweets, baked goods, spicy or salty foods, mayonnaise, smoked meat, strong tea and coffee, and products containing oxalic acid (spinach, sorrel, rhubarb).
At home, you can try some folk remedies that can complement the main treatments and relieve the pain of the finger joints.
- Crush the bay leaves and juniper needles and add them to the butter. Hands should be massaged and the resulting ointment should be massaged every day.
- In the evening, whiting powder and compressed products of fermented milk products (Kefir, fermented milk) should be used. Boiled oatmeal can be used in a similar way.
- Birch sap can be taken orally. It is a source of many vitamins and useful substances, not only has a positive effect on the joints, but also has a positive effect on the whole body.
- A tablespoon of olive oil mixed with a few drops of fresh garlic juice should be drunk in the morning before the first meal. Therefore, it is possible to reduce inflammation during the exacerbation of hand joint pain.
Don’t forget other non-drug treatments: physical therapy, mud therapy, massage, paraffin therapy and ultrasound.
They help keep the musculoskeletal system in good condition, they are very simple and do not require much time. A few minutes a day can bring you disease-free old age.
Remember:The first question to worry about is why the joints of the fingers or toes are injured and how to deal with the answer to this question. Trust your doctor, but control yourself. How to treat joints in which way-only you decide.