Low back pain is a rare or more common disease in most adults. For many people, they are a permanent background. However, sometimes they can have a major negative impact on the quality of life and interfere with daily activities. In this case, it is necessary to start the diagnosis and treatment of spinal pain in the lumbar spine, as this may be a sign of serious pathology.
What should you do if your back and waist are injured?
What should you do if your back is injured in the lower back? First, the patient needs to independently guess the cause of the discomfort.
Pain may be caused by two pathological types:
- is directly related to the musculoskeletal system.They are characterized by increasing/appearing when changing posture, active exercise, and dynamic load of the skeletal muscle system. For the same reason, sedentary sitting can cause pain, etc.
- Related to the pathology of internal organs.In this case, the problem can be identified by the accompanying symptoms-suffering from kidney disease, which is increased body temperature, difficulty urinating, suffering from bladder disease, increased back pain during urination/appearance. Gynecological pathology is accompanied by the characteristic symptoms of the reproductive organs, the menstrual cycle.
If the patient has reason to believe that the pain in the waist area is related to gynecological pathology, after contacting the doctor, she will undergo the following diagnostic tests:
- Ultrasound examination of pelvic organs;
- Diagnostic curettage;
- Pathological microbial flora smear;
- Complete blood count.
If kidney or bladder pathology is suspected, the following tests prescribed by the therapist will be performed:
- Kidney/bladder ultrasound;
- Routine urine analysis;
- Biochemical blood test;
- Manual check.
If you suspect a pathology of the musculoskeletal system that causes lower back pain, you should contact a chiropractor/orthopedist/neurologist.
To determine if spinal cord disease is present, the following tests were performed:
- X-ray-only shows bone tissue, but can be used to determine joint tissue, indirect signs of intervertebral disc pathology;
- Manual check-check reflection and sensitivity;
- EEG, if it is suspected that the nerve tissue is obviously involved in the process;
- Ultrasonography of the spine has contraindications to other research methods.
The most useful and complex research methods for lower back pain are CT and MRI. If you need to confirm the diagnosis, or if you cannot make a diagnosis by other methods, you can use them in any situation.
How to treat low back pain? If they are related to the pathology of internal organs, it is necessary to eradicate their cause. If urinary tract stones occur, surgery is recommended to remove the stones and dissolve them with special preparations. Prescriptions for patients with pyelonephritis, cystitis, and uremia, broad-spectrum antibiotics exist for a long time. For gynecological pathology that causes lower back pain, everything depends on its type: hormones, antibiotics, anti-inflammatory drugs and surgical procedures can all be prescribed.
But in most cases, lower back pain is caused by pathology of the musculoskeletal system, which also requires complex treatment methods. This treatment can be prescribed by a neurologist or orthopedic doctor.
Medicine to relieve pain
If your back is injured in the lumbar area, you can use one of the following methods:
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in tabletsTake once a day, up to 3 times. They are effective in relieving pain, with almost no contraindications and side effects. Do not take them casually during pregnancy. If the pain does not disappear after taking 2-3 days, you need to consult a doctor-the treatment process can be extended to 14 days, but it can only be carried out under his control;
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for injectionIntramuscular injection once a day, the dose should not exceed once. They are more effective than the drugs in the tablets and relieve pain faster, but they are forbidden to use for more than three days because they start to affect the chemical composition of the blood and reduce the blood clotting. If necessary, extend the course of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, and the doctor will prescribe them for the patient;
- TabletsAnalgesics are a last resort, because they have side effects and negatively affect the condition of the gastric mucosa, but they are more effective than NSAIDs in reducing pain. Take 1 tablet exactly as needed. In some other cases, pregnant women should not take gastric ulcers;
- Injection of analgesicshas no obvious negative effect on the mucous membrane, they are administered in a single dose strictly according to the indication. Contraindicated during pregnancy to reduce blood clotting.
This method has obvious analgesic effects, but in severe pathological conditions, only comprehensive treatment can alleviate the worsening of the disease.
In the comprehensive treatment of back pain in the waist area, other drugs are also prescribed:
- Heating ointmentUse up to 4 times a day. They help relieve painful muscle spasms, causing compression of nerve tissue and blood vessels. After a long period of static/dynamic loading, cramps will occur;
- AntispasmodicsTake 2 tablets at most 2 times a day, which can help relieve muscle cramps;
- Cartilage protectors in ointments or tabletsenable you to strengthen intervertebral discs, joint tissue and prevent the development of pathological processes. Ointment can be applied up to 4 times a day, and tablets can be taken 1-2 times a day;
- B vitaminsintramuscular injection in a single dose every 1-2 days. Allows to improve the conduction of nerve impulses and keep the nerve tissue in good condition;
- NSAID ointmentIt has analgesic effect and is directly applied to the painful area 3 times a day. On its own, local therapy cannot effectively anesthetize. But they are effective additional methods.
Comprehensive treatment is prescribed by a doctor, supplemented by massage, physical therapy, and physical therapy exercises.
Exercise therapy and gymnastics
The following exercises can help effectively relieve lumbar pain:
- Camel cat. Support the floor on the knees and palms. Bend your back as much as possible and lock it at the highest point for 10 seconds. Then bend your back as far as possible and fix it at the lowest point for 10 seconds. Repeat the exercise 7 times in both directions;
- Lie on the floor, belly, legs straight, arms outstretched forward. At the same time, raise your arms, upper body, and straighten your legs, as if to "bridge" in reverse. Fix at the largest possible maximum time point, and then slowly return to the starting position.
Exercise prescribed by a physical therapist helps to strengthen the muscle structure and make the spine more stress-resistant. They can also normalize the nutrition of the tissue and the intervertebral disc, thereby preventing the degradation of the intervertebral disc in the tissue. However, exercise can only be done during the remission period-injuries are forbidden and chronic diseases worsen.
Yoga has the same indications and contraindications as exercise therapy.
The following asanas are most beneficial for lower back pain:
- Lean forward from a sitting position;
- The child's posture;
- Twist from the lotus position;
- The reclining goddess;
- Legs at right angles to the body, supported on the wall;
- Free wind;
- Awakening posture.
It is recommended to perform under the guidance of the instructor for the first time.
During swimming, it reduces the burden on the spine, strengthens the structure of the muscles, normalizes the work of the muscles, and improves blood circulation. Swimming is prohibited during deterioration. It is also important to insist on certain styles that do not put pressure on the waist area. This is the backstroke, displayed at the beginning of the lesson, and displayed as a breaststroke and puppy at the end of the lesson. Crawling is not recommended, because it puts a great burden on the musculoskeletal system.
How to treat pathology? Physical therapy is a good supplementary method.
Use the following method:
- Magnetic therapy.
During this period, hypertonicity, muscle spasms are relieved, inflammatory processes are reduced, edema subsides, and blood circulation and microcirculation return to normal. Usually, 7-10 steps are sufficient to achieve stable positive results.
Massage can reduce muscle hypertonicity, strengthen muscle corsets and exercise therapy. It is strictly forbidden to use it during severe pathological exacerbations.
Massage gently like this:
- Rub with open palms on both sides of the spine;
- Press, with vibration/circular motion-use two fingers to apply force at multiple points along the spine symmetrically;
- Exercise the deep layer of the muscles-use four fingers to press on the tissues on both sides of the spine, without reducing the pressure, move the arm forward-from the bone to the chest cavity.
The complex is also completed by friction.
Spinal pain often occurs in sedentary people. Due to sitting for a long time, the spine bears a great static load. Proper organization of the workplace can reduce this situation. It must comply with the following rules:
- When placing the forearms on the table, they should be at right angles to the shoulders;
- Feet should be sitting on the floor, knees should be bent 90 degrees;
- The distance from the eyes (straight back) to the computer screen is 50 cm, and the distance from the table surface is 30-40 cm.
You can also improve your physical condition by purchasing special orthopedic cushions.
If your lumbar spine has not been injured, but you feel stiff, please take the following measures to prevent low back pain:
- Avoid heavy objects;
- Avoid long-term dynamic/static loading;
- Take a sedentary gymnastics rest;
- Do exercise therapy every day;
- Eat well;
- Give up bad habits;
- Avoid draught;
- Track your weight-don't wear it.
These methods will prevent the development of musculoskeletal system diseases.
Back and lower back pain can cause various pathologies. Only by eliminating the cause of this pathology can you get rid of the symptoms of discomfort. Therefore, if the pain relief measures stop working, the lower back pain will become frequent/very severe, you need to consult a doctor to determine the cause of the pain and eliminate it.